Sunday, August 20, 2023

Detroit's Greektown Stella - Iconic Homeless Woman Remembered

Photo taken of Stella Paris by a Detroit Policeman
I hadn't seen or heard of Greektown Stella for several decades, then several days ago, I found out that she had died almost seven years earlier on January 16th, 2011. When I saw her photograph on a recent Facebook post on the Old Delray/Old Detroit site, I knew that face and suddenly felt very sad. Whenever I go to a Greek restaurant or see the film Zorba, the Greek, I privately think of the crazy old Greek woman who patrolled the dimly lit Greektown neighborhood in Detroit from the late1960s until the early 1990s.

Stella was a modern day Cassandra that nobody wanted to listen to. Over forty years ago, whenever my friends and I would go to Greektown for dinner or shop at Trappers' Alley, Stella was often ranting something in Greek or broken English at the top of her lungs at all hours of the night. Stella's piercing voice would echo off the brick buildings. She was impossible to ignore. Because she was a permanent fixture on Monroe Street, we quipped that she was being paid by the restaurant owners to provide local color for the Greek neighborhood.

Several newspaper accounts at the time of her death list Stella Paris' age at ninety-five or older. No birth certificate, citizenship, or immigration documentation exists for her, so she was denied public assistance. Stella is believed to have been born on the Greek island of Samos.

Doug Guthrie, writing for The Detroit News on January 21, 2011, discovered that "(Stella) had come to this country in 1938 through an arranged marriage to restaurant owner John Perris. She raised three sons and never wanted to learn English (but she spoke broken English of necessity). Stella was four feet, ten inches tall and very trim. She passed away from a heart condition. Stella's body was laid out at Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral on East Lafayette Blvd.

In life, Stella suffered from mental illness and the scourge of schizophrenia. She had family who tried to take her in, but she wanted to be in Greektown where she felt comfortable, even when sleeping outside contending with the weather and other aggressive street people. She carried a nightstick for her protection, given to her by the police at the12th precinct downtown. "The Greek community took care of her by giving her food, shelter, and love," said Frank Becsi. "Stella is buried at Woodmere Cemetery."

"Stella was a blessing to me," says Shelley Rigney, someone who remembers her fondly. "I was young and she would always tell the 'Wolf' types not to bother me because my Momma knew Jack Tocco (Detroit Mafia Don) & my Pappa was a big crazy Irishman & I was the only baby girl in a house full of Big Boys. She would laugh and tell me, 'Ya justa keep walkin'. Don't you let any of that Trash even stick to your shoe.' God bless her sweet soul & kind heart... I still have ribbons and all the things she gave me."

Stella led the hard life of a homeless street person. Even when she was in her fifties, she looked much older than she was. A retired Detroit policeman who wishes not to be identified walked the Greektown beat for years. He tells a more sobering, less romantic story of Stella's street life.

"(Stella) claimed to be some sort of Greek princess, or that her late husband was the king of Greece, or some similar story.... She would hear voices and stand on the street corner and yell at the voices... you could hear her half a mile away on a calm day.

"She was your basic homeless bag lady, and unfortunately, her mind was not all there.... Stella's favorite motel was police headquarters at 1300 Beaubien, just up the street from Greektown. Some (of the officers) took her in as a mascot, providing her with some old marksmanship badges, chevrons, and a nightstick (billy club) that she carried faithfully....


Stella on the street.
"I do know that many of the merchants in Greektown took pity on her regularly and provided her with food as needed. As I said, (Stella) was an icon. Actually, she was a perfect representative of so many mentally challenged people in the United States today."

Detroit policewoman Cynthia Hill said, "From our perspective, she never meant any harm. When I was working as a teenage police cadet, I noticed the officers let her sleep in the basement (of police headquarters) and bathe in our sinks in the women's restroom on the first floor. At first, she scared me. They told me, 'It's just Stella.' Later when I became an officer, I would see her on the street and feel the same way."

News of his mother's death came as a surprise to her seventy-year-old son, Anthony Perris of Livonia. He told The Detroit News that her life began on the streets when she was in her fifties. "The family assumed she had died fifteen years ago when she disappeared from Greektown," Perris said. "We didn't know that she had been ordered by a judge into an assisted care facility because she was brandishing a knife."

Stella Paris spent the last years of her life peacefully at the East Grand Nursing Home on East Grand Blvd. At the time, the facility desperately searched for any relative who could shed light on her immigration status. Because of the common misspelling of her real last name, the Perris family was never notified. Stella was indigent, so the nursing home took her under its protective care. But when Stella needed heart surgery, they were simply not in any position to pay for her hospital bills.

We have all seen homeless people in our communities. Some do their best to be unobtrusive or obsequious, while others rant and rave, wrestling with their personal demons. They are all desperate people living a tooth and nail existence. In our several encounters with Greektown Stella, my wife and I tried our best to avoid and not engage her in conversation because we didn't know what to expect. I regret that decision now.

Shelley Rigney laments, "Stella was a woman who was tossed aside by many, but she still managed to survive somehow. Now I wish I would have taken time for her. She had a lot to say and teach others."

Finding out about Greektown Stella's death brought it all back to me. Rather than our scorn and apathy, these people need acts of kindness and generosity, not only during the holiday season but throughout the entire year.

More on Stella can be found in this link: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/01/greektown_stella_shouts_no_mor.html  
 

34 comments:

  1. Great survey, I'm sure you're getting a great response. Flat Fee Pros of Detroit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone remember, "The Quarter Lady"? She was a downtown Detroit fixture for years, from the eighties thru the early 2000's. For years she panhandled, by asking everyone, "You got a quarter?", but sometime in the late 90's she changed her plea to, "You got a dollar?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do!! I called her dollar dollar!

      Delete
    2. I remember her. She was usually by the Buhl Building.

      Delete
  3. I heard from a retired Police Officer that the knife incident was made up to get her off the streets of Greektown "to make more appealing with no homeless residents" That someone in the Mike Illich foundation paid off the judge

    ReplyDelete
  4. when Stella needed heart surgery, they were simply not in any position to pay for her hospital bills.Such a sad statement. she was to poor to save

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we had universal health care, as we should have had for the last several decades, she probably would have had that surgery. Other advanced nations have had it for decades, so could we.

      Delete
    2. He son knew where she was! And in the nursing home .....she had children ....she was hard for them to deal with her...so really they just let her be.....there was money for her surgery .....get it right....

      Delete
    3. That is simply not true. I am her granddaughter and we did NOT know where she was. No one actually knows the full story except our family but I can tell you I clearly remember her becoming very violent when she would see my father.

      Delete
    4. My Greek husband, our four young sons and I used to frequently see your Grandmother in the mid 1980’s through to the early 1990’s and then no more. That must have been when she was placed in the Nursing Home. I want you to know that in the midst of her chaotic screaming she would stop when she saw our little boys, there was a moment of lucidity and calm. She’d pat their faces. I’m so sorry for the tremendous loss your family carried for decades in the face of Stella’s mental illness. May your grandmother Rest In Peace ❤️

      Delete
    5. I remember her doing that to my young son. ❤️

      Delete
  5. Such a sad state of affairs our country is in when we can't give medical care to those who need it because of the almighty dollar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No medical care? Did you see how old she was when she died, we should all be so lucky.This woman clearly had mental issues, but one look at her and you could tell someone was looking out for her.

      Delete
  6. Stella,would go off on people,because they deserved it.when I'm ninety I'mma go off on y'all too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family owned the local market, Delmar, at the corner of Monroe and Beaubien from 1912 until they closed its doors in 1984. I remember Stella in the 60s and 70s. I remember watching her fix up her hair in the reflection of the coffee house across the street before it opened in the morning. Sometimes she would come in the store and stand by the front door and rent for a few minutes at the top of her lungs. My dad had a great sense of humor and could always get a laugh out of her even though actual words were not really communicated. She was a harmless icon and it's nice to see that she's remembered fondly. I have a framed photo of her sleeping in a chair on the sidewalk that my aunt Alice took. I inherited that photo and I'm thinking about putting it up in my kitchen next to my coffee machine!Stella, gone but not forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the perform that you have placed into this. I’m sure that you will be making a really useful place. I has been additionally pleased. Good perform! klimt condo at cairnhill

    ReplyDelete
  9. This particular papers fabulous, and My spouse and i enjoy each of the perform that you have placed into this. I’m sure that you will be making a really useful place. I has been additionally pleased. Good perform! Sell my house Pittsburgh PA

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember seeing her patrolling Greektown, sometimes quiet, other times in a huff arguing with herself. She was always decent looking as far as hygiene is concerned. All things considered I think she had a good life, after all, we still remember her all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates. real estate developers dubai

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have sell some products of different custom boxes.it is very useful and very low price please visits this site thanks and please share this post with your friends. mini drones

    ReplyDelete
  14. My heart is scorned. She was an fixture of Greentown. My condolences for Greentown. Well, she was a part of us. She belong here. She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am ceaselessly stunned by the measure of data accessible regarding this matter. What you introduced was all around looked into and eloquent so as to get your remain on this crosswise over to every one of your perusers. how to get affordable insurance

    ReplyDelete
  16. I met Gus Anton (New Hellas Cafe) in 1964. As our friendship grew he became one of my closest and dearest friends. In 1972 I opened TRAPPERS ALLEY across from Hellas and right next door to the infamous Grecian Gardens. This venture found me spending seven days a week in GREEKTOWN. During that time I became very familiar with Stella and gave her soup on many a cold evening. Stella was not always yelling and screaming. She smiled a lot, at least when I saw her. It was unfortunate that everybody knew about her but few reached out to help her. God Bless her soul.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read that Post and got it fine and informative. New lenox Realtors

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work mokena IL realtors

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a heartfelt compassion look back at how Stella was such a part of Greektown life … I remember seeing her around Delmars in Greektown often. It really was Greektown back in 70’s-80’s and seeing Stella was expected. There was a gentle spirit that could detect if saw her often.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Can I use your photos for her WikiTree profile? I'm trying to document Stella's life. Or would you mind adding? Profile ID: Unknown-652424

    ReplyDelete